Seismic Retrofit Attachments – Illustration and Photos
Below we’ve provided seismic retrofit attachments illustrations and photos to present a more in-depth visualization of what a seismic upgrade entails. Although each home is unique, EcoTech is dedicated to tailor each retrofit plan to protect your home against earthquake damage.
ATTACHING SILL PLATE TO FOUNDATION & RIM JOIST TO THE SILL PLATE
- The Sill Plate is attached to the Foundation due to older homes “sitting” atop the concrete foundation, meaning there is nothing keeping the house physically attached, to the base of the home. Thus, when a violent shaking earthquake occurs, the end result is the house literally being knocked off the foundation.
- Attaching the Sill Plate to the Rim Joist follows the same logic as attaching the sill plate to the foundation. When connecting all of these vital pieces of the home together, it is making a solid infrastructure, that allows the house to move as one part, not three separate sections.
ATTACHING POST TO BEAM & POST TO FLOOR
- Attaching the Post to the Beam and the Post to the Floor follows along the same rule as above, this is accomplishing the goal of making the home as one solid unit. When the ground shakes, the whole house will move together, not different pieces falling like dominos.
APPLYING PLYWOOD SHEETING ON CRIPPLE WALL CONSTRUCTION
- A Cripple Wall is usually found in older homes. The cripple wall usually occurs between the first floor and the foundation, it is generally thought of as the weakest part of older buildings. This is due to the fact that there is no concrete between the first floor and the foundation, it is usually made up of horizontal wood siding or stucco. Since no concrete is between the home and the foundation, the collapse of the cripple wall could result in the main floor dropping to the ground.
BOLTING THE SILL PLATE TO FOUNDATION IN THE GARAGE
- Bolting the Sill Plate to the Garage Foundation is the same concept as adding this extra security to the home. The garage maybe attached to the home or there may be living space within the garage, either way bolting the sill plate to the garage foundation, allows the structure to move as one.
STRAPPING THE WATER HEATER & NATURAL GAS SHUT-OFF VALVES
- Strapping the Water Heater to a wall or post protects people from a bursting water heater or reduces fire potential.
- Installing a Natural Gas Shut-Off Valve help to prevent houses from catching fire due to broken natural gas lines.